A downloadable game for Windows
Experience art style and gameplay of classical indie game Cave Story in brand new procgen environment: each adventure is different and you only have one life for each!
Read readme.txt in archive to get information about configs and custom characters.
- Explore 23 different layouts and settings, each with its own generation and gimmicks! Some of them will show up when you descend deep enough.
- There are 10 depths in each run, with 2 levels spawning a boss, and final one featuring the old enemy...
- Find many new items that will help you to move faster or destroy enemies quickly! Some of them can be combined with mysterious energy...
- 64+ Organya-styled tracks, featuring covers and original music to accompany your adventures!
- See your improvements for conquering the dungeon with highscore and rankings!
- Challenge yourself by selecting difficulty options or taking the path down after beating final boss!
- Customize your adventure with seed input and 20 characters! Each one has different movement and combat abilities and new mechanics in some cases.
- Advanced settings are available through config.json. Change how much items spawn in the run, try different restrictions or test how fast you can beat the game!
- Arrow keys to move.
- Z to jump/confirm actions.
- X to use active weapon/close windows.
- A and S to switch weapon to next/last weapon in rotation.
- Q to open inventory.
- W to open map of the level.
- Left Shift to use certain items and delete items in inventory.
- Holding Up with Z produces a charged jump.
- Numbers to select the weapon.
- Cave Story: Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya
- Based on: CSE2 Enhanced by Clownacy and GabrielTFS
- Music: Cory Welch, Tinned Duck, 2dbro, Zenix, txin, mLurker, Alula
- Used sprites: ZarroTsu, AsperDev, Tert, Taiki, MintyFresh, Raymundo, lolkat
- Coding help: Kaitlyn
- Bracket OC: Jamark
- Improved Map System: Ikuyo and Onyx
- Monogram font: datagoblin
- Zlib for C++: Piti118, Deepak Bandyopadhyay, Lutz Kettner, zlib team
- JSON decoding: Niels Lohmann and contributors
- Update checking: quyse, Mark Lakata and libcurl team
- Crossovers: 2dbro and Kim Tyranto
- Translation help: Fluffy-Fuwafuwa
- Ideas: NethoWarrior, eli, Tert, Taiki, ColdCallerLoopy, Zierin705, eviled, Thyme Warp, duncathan, Daedily, Woddles, rde, CyberSlash, IdioticBaka1824, Ryla
Our discord server: Link
Suggestion box: Link
Modding resource: Link
|Made with||SDL, Aseprite|
|Tags||Exploration, Metroidvania, Pixel Art, Procedural Generation, Roguelite|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad (any)|
|Links||Community, Modding Resource|
Extract the archive and run Randamu.exe, nothing is required to install.
Speedrun configs: the archive includes empty splits, layouts and autosplitter script.
- A status update42 days ago
- Modding resource is created!Jun 01, 2022
- 1.37.3 reuploadJun 01, 2022
- Update 1.37.3 (Patching Rough Edges)May 31, 2022
- Speedrun kit updateMay 22, 2022
- Update 1.37.2 (Journey to the East)May 21, 2022
- Japanese translation is in works!May 19, 2022
- 1000 downloads!May 17, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hey, how to use terminal
Cool idea & nice execution
A few things:
1. The game crashes or hangs upon trying to enter Options mid-run (Only Options. Configurations works fine.)
2. Quote feels strangely floatier than he should.
3. I'm not a fan of Polar Star and Nemesis being the block maker and destructor respectively. I'd create new weapons to replace them in those roles and give Polar Star and Nemesis their original properties back as a random weapon spawn.
4. Consider giving an option to how high jump is handled ("charge" to high jump, "always" high jump, and "double" jump).
5. Lastly, I feel the first level for basic difficulty is a bit too overwhelming in the number of traps and how often they hide in a leap of faith, and how often high jump is needed to get out of situations.
6. The terrain generation FAILS to consider Polar Star, Nemesis and Charged Jump's status. So if you turned them off, you're likely to be SOL
1. Got it.
2. That's because the game is running in 60 fps.
3. Vanilla versions of them are kinda boring in my opinion, and also this decision was made at very start of development and I am not a fan of changing the game's fundamentals after so long.
4. "Always" high jump is frankly overpowered if you think about it.
5. I will think about it, thanks.
6. You are kinda not supposed to turn all of them off, but stages are beatable without one or two components being missing without changing the generation.
It seems counterintuitive to just effectively remove two weapons enjoyed by many other Cave Story fans just because you didn't enjoy them. I would understand if it was your own game entirely, but CS is the base here.
I haven't had the chance to play it yet, though. I just wanted to respond to that point.
Nemesis is still usable as a weapon and there is Rifle if you want that Polar Star-like weapon.
It's actually possible to start a Depth 01 run in a small room with literally no way out if you disabled the Nemesis.
Wow, this is fantastic. Genuinely really good! I have to play some more to dig in a bit more, but wow, this is a lot of fun. Congratulations to you and your contributors!
Hi, Zierin705 here.
I genuinely did not expect this game to have an itch.io page.
I've beaten the game but only gotten the normal ending, would I get any spoilers from playing this?
Thanks for adding my character in the game!
What a blast, I love all the different items and the crafting system. It feels like I haven't even scratched the surface of everything the game has to offer (especially with all the different characters).
If you're on the fence, please try this game out! It's the best Cave Story fangame I've played so far!
what a great idea! i seriously want this kind of thing for every game, adds a ton of value.
10/10 fun game